When it comes to being healthy, every small change you make can add up to be a huge difference for your health. We like to think of healthy changes in two ways: there are things that you can remove from your life or diet to make positive changes, and there are things you can add to make improvements.
And when it comes to making positive changes, we like healthy habits that are easy to add and stick to. Two of our favorites are body brushing and taking a detox bath once a week. Each one takes very little time, but the health benefits add up quickly! Include these in your routine and you’re sure to see positive changes in as little as a week after introducing them. Plus – they’re great for the whole family!
What it is:Dry brushing is a technique of brushing your dry skin with a course-bristled brush. You may find that when you first begin dry brushing, you’re extra thirsty. This is because as your lymph nodes are more active, your body requires more fluids to flush out toxins. So drink up and enjoy the increase in your energy you experience.
How to do it:Start on your hands and feet, brushing in long strokes up your limbs toward your heart. On your torso, you brush in a clockwise circular motion. At first, the course bristles of the brush can feel a little irritating because you’re not used to the sensation of dry brushing, but after a few times you’ll adjust to the feeling and actually come to enjoy it! Remember to use firm pressure, but don’t press too hard. Drying brushing shouldn’t be painful or leave marks on your skin.
Health Benefits:Dry brushing isn’t just about having healthy skin, although you’ll definitely see a difference in your skins softness with repeated dry brushing. It’s actually a technique used to activate your body’s lymphatic system, since your lymph nodes run all throughout your body just below the skin’s surface. Dry brushing is believed to help increase circulation and encourage your lymph node system to detox and flush your system out.
What it is:Soaking in a detox bath is a great way to flush toxins out of your system and feel a renewed sense of energy. Essentially, you’re just soaking in your bathtub for 20-30 minutes with a combination of ingredients that boast various health benefits. What you use is completely up to you and greatly depends on what results you are looking for.
How to do it, and how it works:There are many ingredient combinations you can use to detox, but we’re sticking with some of the simpler ones. After all, the best solutions are ones that you don’t have to go out of your way to utilize. Most of these ingredients are already on your pantry shelves, or available (and inexpensive to purchase!) at most retailers:
- Epsom salt is an ingredient that can help you feel better both physically and emotionally because of the amount of magnesium it provides. Magnesium is touted to help with depression and anxiety, and absorbing it through your skin by soaking in an Epsom salt bath is very effective!
- You can also use vinegar in your detox baths. While it is smelly, you don’t have to use much, and you can rinse off before getting out so you don’t smell like vinegar all day. Vinegar helps pull toxins out of your body
- Bentonite clay is another detoxing ingredient you can use. For the best results, mix the clay with a small amount of water and massage it into your skin before getting into the bath. This ensures maximum detoxing results. When you’re done soaking, if there is any clay left on your skin simply rinse off in the shower and wipe gently with a washcloth.
- If you’re having any sinus issues, ginger is a great ingredient to include in your detox bath. Not only will breathing it help clear congestion, but ginger also provides overall benefits during any illness by reducing body aches.
- If you have essential oils on hand, they are also great to include in your detox bath. Do a quick search online to see what the benefits of each specific oil are to decide which one(s) to use. Be sure to put the drops in some Epsom salt first, and not directly into the bath water so that they will dissolve and not float on top.
For best results dry brush every day – but especially before a detox bath as dry brushing will help activate your body’s lymphatic system and maximize the results of your bath. With consistent use, these are two easy ways to reduce anxiety, curb the effects of any illness and maintain your overall well-being.